These five cruises sailing from Southampton in 2022 are some of the most popular and well loved itineraries in years gone by. Southampton is one of England’s biggest cruise ship ports with direct transport links to London and within easy reach of Stonehenge, Highclere Castle (for Downton Abbey fans) and the Jurassic Coast.
Fortunately there’s many cruise lines sailing from Southampton in 2022 (see the list below) meaning all ages, budgets and interests are catered for. The next step is deciding what itinerary to do…
A Western Mediterranean cruise will typically take 10 to 14 nights on a round trip from Southampton. This cruise is perfect for sun worshippers as you’re visiting some of the sunniest destinations in Europe like Southern Spain (typical ports of call: Cadiz and Malaga), plus the Balearic Islands including Palma de Mallorca, pictured below.
This cruise itinerary is also well suited to history buffs and those who enjoy city hopping and sightseeing – there’s not many getaways where you can roam medieval villages in Southern France one day to tapas tasting in Barcelona the next.
Further reading: Highlights of a Western Mediterranean Cruise (opens in new tab)
The Norwegian Fjords | Cruises from Southampton in 2022
Breathtaking scenery coupled with fascinating shore excursions, the Norwegian Fjords is THE destination to convert the most reluctant of cruisers. Most cruises from Southampton to the Fjords are around 7 nights, longer itineraries up to 14 cross the Arctic Circle and/or stop in Iceland to see the Northern Lights (in the winter) or Midnight Sun (in the summer). On a typical cruise you can expect to see jaw dropping waterfalls, snow capped mountains and even glaciers.
Ad: Experience a Norwegian Fjords cruise on P&O Britannia (Opens in new tab)
Scandinavia and The Baltic’s | Cruises from Southampton in 2022
A Baltic cruise is for those who want to immerse themselves in the cultural capitals of Northern and Eastern Europe. You can visit up to 7 countries over 2 weeks on a Baltic Cruise including Russia, Sweden and Denmark. Saint Petersburg is often a highlight with many cruise ships docking overnight.
Further reading: Highlights of a Baltic Cruise from Southampton
The fairytale scenes of Tallinn, Stockholm’s stunning archipelago and Copenhagen’s colourful harbours are other memorable moments of a Baltic cruise.
Northern Europe – The Mini or ‘Taster Cruise’
Booking a mini cruise from Southampton is good option if you’ve yet to try a cruise and want to see what it’s like. Typical itineraries depart from Southampton and visit one or two ports in Northern Europe, most commonly Le Havre (for Paris), Zeebrugge (for Brussels and Bruges), Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Hamburg or St. Peter’s Port in Guernsey.
The Northern Europe itineraries are a popular option for a special occasion (hen/stag parties, birthdays, and anniversaries), and if you cruise in November and December you can visit some of Europe’s best Christmas Markets.
Further reading: The pros and cons of a cruise (opens in new tab)
The Canary Islands | Cruises from Southampton in 2022
The warm year round temperatures makes the Canary Islands an attractive destination for autumn or winter sun cruises and many ships will stop off in Madeira and mainland Portugal along the way too. This island hopping itinerary typically allows you to sample the Spanish islands of Tenerife, Gran Canaria and Lanzarote so you can pick a favourite for a return visit!
These aren’t of course the only cruises from Southampton in 2022, other popular cruises include Transatlantic’s to New York, The Caribbean or Miami, plus trips around Great Britain and Ireland.
† = Ad, recent collaborations with Explore With Ed
Cruise lines and ships sailing from Southampton in 2022 include:
- Azamara – Azamara Pursuit, Azamara Quest (Luxury)
- Carnival Cruise Line – Carnival Celebration (Family friendly)
- Celebrity Cruises – Celebrity Silhouette (Luxury)
- Cunard Line – Queen Victoria, Queen Mary 2 (Luxury)
- Fred Olsen Cruise Lines – Braemar, Bolette, Borealis, Balmoral (Luxury)
- MSC Cruises† – MSC Magnifica (Family friendly)
- Norwegian Cruise Lines – Norwegian Star, Norwegian Getaway, Norwegian Dawn, Norwegian Epic (Family friendly)
- Oceania Cruises – Sirena and Marina (Luxury)
- P&O Cruises† – Arcadia and Aurora (Adults only), Britannia, Iona and Ventura (Family friendly)
- Princess Cruises† – Sky Princess, Crown Princess, Island Princess (Family friendly)
- Regent Seven Seas Cruises – Regent Seven Seas Splendor, Regent Seven Seas Voyager, Regent Seven Seas Navigator (Ultra luxury)
- Royal Caribbean International – Anthem of the Seas (Family friendly)
- Saga Cruises – Spirit of Adventure, Spirit of Discovery (Luxury, ages 50+)
- Silversea Cruises – Silver Moon, Silver Wind (Ultra luxury)
Book your 2022 cruise now (opens in new tab)